New Zealand 2007-2008
So, ein kurzer Rückblick auf Orte und Unterkunft meines dritten Neuseelandtrips, I’ve switched from Hitler ratings to the more politically correct BBH ratings:
- Auckland: a good place to start a trip. Nette Hafenstadt, jede Menge Inseln in unmittelbarer Nähe, gute Infrastruktur, gutes Essen.
- Hostel: Verandahs. 55%, no towels. Stay away from this one.
- Hostel: Globetrekkers Lodge. 55%, no towels. Would have been much nicer if those Dutch idiots had not been there. But it is still the owner’s/manager’s responsibility to keep kitchen/fridges clean and guests from misbehaving too much, sorry.
- Hostel: Raglan Backpackers and Waterfront Lodge. 85%, towels for hire. Nice place, and – surprisingly – nice people, no surf nazis.
- Hostel: Discovery Lodge. 65%, towels. Nevermind the old mattress, the room full of fly spray and without windows: they still run the earliest bus to the Tongariro Crossing, so there is no alternative. You might want to spend a couple of dollars more an book a chalet instead of backpackers cabins. Very nice people, very knowledgeable concerning the mountains.
- Hostel: Paekakariki Backpackers. 93%, towels. Excellent place, very nice people, very friendly welcome, good kitchen, nice room, good location.
- Hostel: Tombstone Backpackers. 110%, towels. One of the best hostels I’ve ever been to. Period. Very nice and helpful people, high quality, spacious kitchen, high quality rooms/facilities.
- Hostel: Endeavour Resort. 90%, towels. They have a small shop, the room was fine, nice people, very nice spot. No restaurant though, but Furneaux Lodge is just 10-15 minutes walk.
- Hostel: Punga Cove Resort. 96%, towels. Excellent value for money. Good room, very good facilities, excellent restaurant.
- Hostel: Lochmara Lodge. 94%, towels. Very nice location, good room and facilities, restaurant is ok as well.
- Hostel: Foley Towers. 65%, no towels. It hurts me a bit to rate this only at 65%. Nice staff, very helpful. Room was ok, too. But they didn’t manage to keep the kitchen clean – which is of course ultimately the guests fault, but they’re in charge and should have acted sooner. Probably a bit too laid-back.
My top five spots in New Zealand:
- Coromandel Peninsula
- Kapiti Coast, incl. Wellington
- Queen Charlotte Sound
- Bay of Islands
- The Catlins
My top five accommodations in New Zealand: